7 Things You May Not Know About Tooth Whitening
Posted Date : April 10, 2015
Smiles are important and every one is as individual as each person. A bright, white smile also makes a person feel more confident and is an indication that they’re feeling happy. However, ever since celebrities have started flaunting their Hollywood Smiles, it’s become a bit of an obsession to get the brightest, whitest smile and it’s fair to say that as a dentist in Battersea, teeth whitening is one of our most popular cosmetic treatments.
That said, there are a few facts that people should be aware of before trying to brighten their pearly whites.
- Visit your Battersea dentist – If you’re thinking of whitening your teeth then it’s important to visit your dentist first. To achieve successful teeth whitening it’s essential that teeth are cavity free and gums are healthy.
- Sensitivity may occur – Your teeth may feel sensitive during whitening and for a short time afterwards. If you already have sensitive teeth, then we’d advise you proceed with caution.
- Check out the peroxide – Tooth whitening kits vary in the percentage of peroxide that is contained in them ranging from 10 – 20%. If you haven’t tried tooth whitening before then we’d recommend you start with the product containing the least amount of peroxide. If you don’t experience any problems then you can choose one with a higher percentage next time.
- Bleaching trays can be tricky – If the kit contains a mouth guard that doesn’t fit then it’s probably best not to go ahead with bleaching your teeth. If gel comes into contract with your gums it could end up burning the soft tissue and even cause irreparable damage.
- Children should not whiten their teeth – Children below the age of 13 have very sensitive or and porous teeth, so bleaching or whitening is not advised.
- Use a straw – If you want your teeth to remain whiter for longer following teeth whitening in Battersea, then Glow Dental would recommend that you refrain from consuming drinks such as coffee, tea, or red wine which are known to stain teeth, or drink through a straw so that any food dyes and acids bypass your teeth.
- Don’t overdo it – Carrying out tooth whitening too frequently can cause weakness to your tooth enamel and make your teeth look grey or translucent.
There are various tooth whitening methods and not everyone is suited to all of them. If you’re considering tooth whitening in Battersea then why not come and speak to Dr. Hooman Sanaty at Glow Dental. He’ll examine your teeth and discuss what are your best options. We use systems which can be used safely on sensitive teeth and also provide kits which can be used at home. With careful monitoring, we’ll make sure you achieve the best possible results safely and effectively. Give us a call today on 020 7223 7096 and book your free cosmetic consultation. Alternatively, visit our website at www.glowdental.co.uk for further information.